Process improvements in a large hospital
- A large hospital wanted to develop a process improvement strategy, aimed at reducing waiting and treatment times and improving quality of care for patients.
- It had been agreed that all areas should participate in process improvement activities.
- Managers had not been trained in process improvement approaches or techniques.
- Created an overall high level process map with senior managers so framework for process improvement could be driven top down.
- Provided customized training to all managers in the hospital and to cross functional teams to enable them to improve critical processes.
- Partnered with senior management to enable implementation of this strategy, by coaching the coordinator and team leaders. Provided training to trainers and facilitators so this change could be sustained.
- Improvements in specific areas of the hospital – both in direct patient care and in support processes.
- Integrated process map enabled all managers to see their role in creating patient centred care.
- Tools and approaches continued to be used after project was complete.